It was a very nice Tet celebration on January 24, 2015 at the Double Tree Hotel in Mission Valley, San Diego.
We thank Dr. Viet Truong, President of the San Diego Vietnamese Pharmacists Association (SDVPA) and Chair of the organizing committee for realizing a great program with the participation of the Vietnamese Physicians Association (VPASD) members and Dentists in San Diego.
This was also the first time that the Asian Pacific Health Foundation had a booth to showcase the health screening activities performed with the participation of VPASD physicians, SDVPA pharmacists, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences students, UCSD medical students and volunteers from SDSU and area colleges.
Featured were posters of 2014 Summer Research studies on:
1.Expanding Hepatitis B screening in Asian and Pacific Islander Americans in San Diego County: Needs Assessment and Linkage to Care by Karen Yu, BS, Binh N. Tran, PharmD, and Robert Gish, MD
2. Relationships between Known Risk factors for Osteoporosis and Heel Bone Mineral Density in Asian populations in San Diego County by Esther Park, BS, Binh N. Tran, PharmD, Brookie Best, PharmD, and Renu Singh, PharmD.
3. Pearls Gained from Hepatitis B screening in a community setting by Binh N. Tran, PharmD, Kristiana Nguyen, BS, David Adler, PharmD, Robert Gish, MD.
Dr. Thai Nguyen, cardiologist from Orange County, presented on Managing Hypertension using combination therapy.
The two MCs of the evening were pharmacists Grace Nguyen, and Nolan Le. After the welcome and speech by Dr. Truong, the program began with the Opening Group song, followed by the traditional lion dance, the Kitchen Gods’ report, and vibrant songs by health care members and professional singers. Of note this year was the Ao Dai fashion show designed by Quynh Paris, comprising 19 models in the medical, pharmacy and dentistry fields. Mai Lan Anh, spouse of Dr. Viet Truong, was the singer of Vietnamese songs during the spectacular show.
The acclaimed Four Brothers’ band performance drew a large crowd on the dance floor. After the raffle ticket drawing, dancing continued until midnight.
- Dr. Palmer and Dr. Susan Taylor, Dean David and Mrs. Adler, Dr. and Mrs. Robert Gish for their support and participation at this annual event;
- Dr. Jonathan Lam, President of the Vietnamese American Medical Association, Dr. and Mrs. Howard Nguyen coming from Dallas,
- Mrs. Hao Bui, President of the Northern California Vietnamese Pharmacists Association, coming from San Jose,
- Dr. Christopher Bui, Dr. Christine Bui and members of the Southern California Vietnamese Physicians Association,
- Dr. Hai Tran, president of the VPASD and physician members
- Dr. Yen Le and dentists in San DIego and other places,
- Skaggs Student pharmacists, UCSD, SDSU and other Schools,
- Dr. Danh Truong, President of Asian Pacific Health Foundation, with Staff and volunteers,
- Family, guests and friends attending the 2015 Tet Celebration in San Diego.
Happy New Year of the Goat |
Binh Nhung Tran, PharmD
Asian Pacific Health Foundation